Thursday, October 21, 2010

Moms New Beef Stew

I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of it the other night! So sadly I have no picture for you but I make this stew every winter! I LOVE it, it's from the Biggest Loser cookbook and super easy.
p.s. I made chicken pepian the other night, super yummy!you must try it. I like food that seems mexican to me to have some spice though so I think next time I make it I'll add an extra jalapeno or 2. :)

Ingredients:

1 Tb flour
1/8 t garlic powder
1/8 t salt, plus more to taste
pinch of ground blk pepper
1 lb top round steak cut into cubes, or stew meat
2 t exra virgin olive oil
8 oz button muchrooms, each halved
1 onion, cut into bite size pieces
1 Tb minced garlic
1 t dried thyme
2 cans (14 oz each) low sodium fat free beef broth
2 lg carrots, peeled and cut
1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes

In a plastic bag combine the flour, garlic pwdr, salt, and pepper. Ad the beef and shake the bag until the cubes are coated. Refrigerate for at least 15 mins.

Set a large nonstick soup pot over med heat unti its hot, add the oil and the reserved beef cubes. Cook for about a minuteper side until browned. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cook stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon for about 10 mins, or until the onion is tender.

Add the broth and carrots. Increase heat to high. When the broth comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low so the mixture simmers gently. Cover and cook for 45 mins.

Add the potatoes. Cook for 45 mins or until the beef is fork tender. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired and serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings.

Per serving: 275 calories, 31g protein, 29g carb, 6g fat, 50mg cholesterol, 6g fiber, 583 mg sodium.

No comments:

Post a Comment